Over the past few weeks have been moving from holding pattern to progress mode. Bumped weekly mileage up to 24 from 20 a few weeks ago, although am running 20 this week and next to taper for the BSA 10k in six days. Speed has been increasing too. My first week back after Xmas, I ran 20.2 miles at a mean pace of 8:23, pretty sluggish. But I've been getting faster each week in the eight weeks since then, and this week I ran 20 miles at a pace of 7:44, 39 sec/mile faster than two months ago.
The weather has gotten warmer and that has helped my pace. Also I've lost about 10 pounds in the last two months: weighed in at 167 after Xmas, and have averaged 157 this week. I still have maybe 10 more pounds to lose before I'm where I want to be, but I'm happy with my rate of progress.
This is all part of a more general effort to improve my health and fitness. I've been hitting the gym harder, doing 2.5 sets per body part instead of 2. As of last Friday I've started working out my lower body too, which I think slowed me down a bit on my runs this weekend. Finally, my diet: have been drinking less alcohol and eating much more lean protein to try and recover better from my workouts.

No comments:
Post a Comment