Sunday, 7 September 2014

Race report: 2014 Maidenhead Half Marathon

Ran this race for the first time earlier today. Was not feeling great this morning, went to bed early but tossed and turned, awoke with a headache for reasons unknown, and before the race felt run down and light headed, like maybe I'm fighting something off. Wasn't expecting a great time for these reasons, and also because of  mediocre recent runs, e.g. went 18 miles last Sunday but felt unfit and sluggish. So before the start, my state of mind was similar to what it had been before the Burnham Beeches HM three weeks ago: just wanted to finish and expected this could end up being my slowest HM ever.

I was wrong, just like I was at Burnham Beeches. I ended up with a chip time of 1:34:25, my fourth-fastest HM out of the ten I've run. Mile one was my slowest (7:39) and mile thirteen was my fastest (6:58), but I kept a pretty even pace throughout: my average pace was 7:12, and aside from miles one and thirteen, my miles ranged from 7:01 to 7:19.

Enjoyed having the whole family there. They had fun runs for kids and both of mine ran the 800 metre race.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment