Monday, 18 October 2010

Still waiting


The foot injury persists. The pain is minor, really only noticeable first thing in the morning. However I know, based on my experience with this injury, that it will get worse if I start running again. So this minor pain continues to completely disrupt my training, which has been on hold for ten weeks now.

I saw a podiatrist last week and he agrees that I should not resume running until the pain is completely gone. My x-ray and MRI (shown) didn't suggest any really serious injury like a stress fracture or Morton's neuroma. It may be an inflamed toe-foot joint. Rest is probably the best, and really the only, option.

The injury has already caused me to miss one marathon (Abingdon, which was yesterday), but I'm hoping it will not prevent me from running London six months from now. Can't wait to start running again, and when I do, I will always strive to train more conservatively and to err on the side of undertraining. As ever with running, there's some valuable, general long-term lesson to be learned from all this. Something to do with patience, consistency and moderation. I'll have to think more about it once I can run again.

No comments:

Post a Comment